The RES Enrichment Program is excited to announce the annual
FAMILY SCIENCE FAIR
Thursday March 12th 2015, 6 – 7:30 pm
We look forward to the excellent projects presented by students in grades K-4! Please mark your calendars. Students will be receiving entry forms in their home/school folders this week and are asked to return them as soon as possible so that they can be included in the science fair program!
AND—if we get at least 100 entries, some lucky participants will get to pie Mrs. Rankin and Mr. Berry!
The RES Science Fair is a non-judged family event. Students are encouraged to work together with family and friends to develop a project they are proud of presenting to our community. Your entry does not have to be a science experiment. It may be as simple as a display of your leaf collection or as complex as an experiment on how the circulatory system works. Look at the world around you. What are you curious about? What interests you? Ask why something is the way it is. Do experiments, demonstrate a scientific principle, make observations of the world around you, or collect and analyze data. Most importantly- be creative and HAVE FUN!
Participation is voluntary. Parent/child interaction is encouraged with the child following their interests and the parent providing guidance. The project should be easy to understand and explain to spectators. The goal of the fair is to stimulate an interest in science through the fun exploration of a topic chosen by a student.
Do you have a science fair project in mind? Here are some ways to make a plan:
- Expand upon an interesting topic you have studied in class
- Think about a topic that interests you, or a science question that you are curious about
- Talk to family and friends to brainstorm ideas for a project
- Stop by the enrichment room and borrow a fair idea book and talk with Mrs. Rankin
- Check out science project resources in the library
- Check out the video of last year's event for inspiration:
- Check out these great websites that are chocked full of ideas:
- Look at the list of science topics below for ideas:
The Earth and the Universe
Rocks and Minerals
Inside the Earth
The Human Body
Ears and Hearing
The Human Eye
The Digestive System
Lungs and Breathing
How Eye Glasses Work
Vitamins and Nutrition
How the Heart Works
Effects of Smoking
Medicine through the Ages
Animals and Plants
Physical Principles, Machines and Technology
REMINDER: Science Fair participation will earn points towards the year long Enrichment Challenge!