Dear Richmond Families,
The Richmond Elementary School Preschool programs value the development of foundational skills that children will need to succeed in school and in life. Our programs are committed to providing a high quality preschool experience that meets the needs of a diverse group of learners.
Richmond Elementary has continued to seek new and increasing opportunities for the preschool age eligible students in the area. In accordance with that work, Richmond Elementary will be implementing several changes to our 2014-15 preschool program. These changes include:
- Offering four sessions of 3-4 year old multiage classrooms, two in the morning and two in the afternoon. Mrs. Self and Ms. Rainville will each host their own classrooms that will be open to registered and accepted four year old students and special education eligible three year old students. This allows us to offer up to 40 slots (10 per classroom) for eligible three and four year old students, increasing our capacity from previous years.
- Richmond Elementary School is able to provide four partnership opportunities to local families with eligible four year old students. Within the partnership structure, Richmond Elementary School supports up to 10 hours of preschool programming via an approved, outside early education provider. These four slots will be determined by a lottery system after people have acknowledged interest.
- Tuition will be paid to Prekindergarten Providers for 10 hours per week for 35 weeks during the academic year. If this amount is less the actual cost of the Prekindergarten program, providers may charge families the difference between the actual cost and the amount they receive from the district. Actual cost is determined by completing the "Template for Calculating Actual Cost of Prekindergarten."
Our projected timeline for enrollment is as follows:
- January 13, 2014 - Families will receive letters and informational packets via mail
- January 22, 2014 - Letters of interest are due back to Richmond Elementary from ALL families
- January 24, 2014 - Partnership Applications Due from Providers (to be considered for lottery)
- January 31 or February 3, 2014 - 3 year old student screening for students potentially requiring special education services
- February 8, 2014 - Letter sent to families with enrollment information/dabble day information. Placement confirmed by this date.
- March 5, 2014 - Partnership contracts finalized after approval of RES budget.
- April 9, 2014 - Preschool Dabble Day (play-based introduction to staff, students and families) Students and parents attend sessions and visit various screening activities that help us understand individual needs and form balanced classrooms.
- April 12, 2014 - Placement letters sent out to families via mail.
As some of this is new to the Richmond community we understand and welcome questions and thoughts. Please review the attached information and fill out all forms so they can be returned promptly to Richmond Elementary School. If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact us.